Wednesday, February 23, 2005

8:30 AM Wednesday, February 23, 2005

It's been 48 years (1958) since I last traveled through the state of Texas. Phil has never been here. It's an understatement to say I'm thrilled at long last to be back because we both have family to visit in this state; some we've met and other's I've only been privileged to meet through correspondence. That said, I have a couple observations to share ... my opinion only, with just the first 450 miles logged and many more miles to come before we leave. In all our travels through Arizona we were in awe of the desert. This wet winter has transformed the vista in all directions into a veritable Garden of Eden and, as you know, I have commented many times over about how beautiful we found it to be. Well, those of you who are reading the blog regularly may remember my editorial about the Joshua Trees back in CA and unfortunately, (remember, this is my opinion) the same applies here. The southern desert of new Mexico and Texas along Highway 10 is nondescript ... a few interesting mesas off in the distance, some cattle and a few horses as well as some impressive geological observations where the DOT cut the highway through the crest of hills and exposed the layers of earth but for the most part ... not much to see. The little towns we've stayed in have been a welcome respite from the monotonous landscape but I can see where without these stops, south Texas wouldn't leave much of an impression on the hurried traveler. Again, I am so thankful to have this opportunity to slow down, observe and investigate as we move across this wonderful country of ours. On to San Antonio today!

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous6:27 PM

    GRT. PICS!!

    NEED A "HAYBOY"?
    WISH I WAS THERE NOW INSTEAD OF BEING HERE AT work!

    another 1.5 yrs.and im outta here !!

    leave some asphalt on the road for me !!

    harry
    so.ca.

    ReplyDelete