Wednesday, January 19, 2005

9:20 AM Wednesday January 19, 2005

We're boondocking! Out in the desert ... surrounded by cactus, sagebrush, mountains, the beautiful "green" desert and 50,000 (I can't actually see that many but I KNOW they're out there) other RVers, (HA!) just south of Quartzsite, AZ. Actually, I'm looking east out the front window of our coach right this minute and can see nothing but sunshine, (our solar panels must be cooking) blue sky and a couple ultra lights sailing through the chilly morning air. What fun this is going to be!
We rendezvoused with our friends, Don and Ardella yesterday afternoon at the Yuma Prooving Grounds about 15 miles north of Yuma, caravaned north on highway 95 and they led us into a spot where a friend of theirs has been camping for years. Including us, there are six RVs in this cul-de-sac that has been flattened out and covered with gravel by the Bureau of Land Management. What a beautiful day!
Our friends don't have a "toad" yet so we're going to empty the back of our Ranger so the four of us can drive into Quartzsite together. Don and Phil will ride in back, I will drive and Ardella can sit up front with me. Phil and Don drove Don's motorhome into town yesterday after we arrived to find a dump station (there are three--maybe more) while Ardella and I stayed here in our motorhome. Phil tells me I will be blown away by this little town when I see it. We were there three weeks ago and there wasn't much going on. That has changed. Now he says there are thousands of vendors in all directions so ... depending on my stamina, I'll do my best to give you a more detailed report tomorrow.
BTW ... how's this for being online out in the desert without our generator on or being plugged in to shore power! I think we're going to like this solar power ... a lot!

1 comment:

  1. I knew you were going to love Quartzsite. I am soooo jealous!!! And to think you have Internet service too! Isn't life wonderful!!! I want to see photos of where you are camped and of the vendors too! But, I bet you are going to be sooo busy now, it will be days before you get around to updating your blog! Enjoy Quartzsite!! Margie in TN

    ReplyDelete