Wednesday, November 16, 2005

10:30 AM Wednesday November 16, 2005

I have Type-2 diabetes, having been diagnosed almost ten years ago. So far, several different physicians (the latest one being the most successful) and I have been able to keep my blood sugar under fairly good control with oral medication. For me, the biggest problem with needing pills four times a day is being able to remember to take them! You know what they say in regard to aging: “The first thing to go is your memory and the second thing is … oh-oh, I forgot!”

Why is she telling me this, you ask? Because, I just looked out my window here beside the computer and saw that the back window of the truck canopy is up so, no doubt, it has been open all night. I have a difficult time remembering to take my pills and Phil struggles to remember to close and lock the canopy door. We just shake our heads at each other and shrug our shoulders. It seems the harder we try, the worse it gets! Another curious phenomenon about our individual memories is that I have nearly total recall about the things Phil should remember and he can almost always retain information about my “to do” list. What is that all about?

I read recently that learning a foreign language is one way to exercise your mind, help to avert Alzheimer’s and improve your memory. I’m thinking about buying a Spanish course we can listen to and study as we travel down the road. If I remember, I’ll keep you posted ;-[)

No comments:

Post a Comment