Monday, January 15, 2007

12:58 pm Monday January 15, 2007

Enjoy your Martin Luther King Day holiday! Hopefully, you have the day off!
.
When you live in a stick-built house no one ever says to you … “What do you do all day?” But, just sell that house and move fulltime into a motorhome and all of a sudden, everyone thinks you have nothing but empty hours in long boring days! Maybe that is true for some people who make the change and most likely those are the same RVers who will not last long in this lifestyle.

I remember when I quit working outside the home. Every day I wondered how I ever had “time” to work. Phil still had a few years to go before he retired so I got out of bed at 4:45 am each morning to make the coffee and put his lunch together (he didn’t want his sandwich made the night before). I always kissed him goodbye when he left for work (you never know when it will be the last time you see someone ... you know?). He had a long commute on a very dangerous WA State Rt 3 (beautiful but 2-lanes of very curvy road) to Bremerton from Shelton so his day started early. I had major surgery a couple years before he retired and Phil granted me an exemption from my early morning tasks and started buying his lunch at work. Even so, once I healed I was "up and at-um" early every day. Old habits are hard to break (however I have at last been successful and can sleep late if given the opportunity.)

From the time he went out the door I was off and running. I had a TV in every room of my 2000 sq. ft. house (and even one in the garage where the washer and dryer were located). I would turn them all on so I could move around the house and not miss a word of my favorite shows (my TV addiction began when I quit my 9 to 5 job). Then after the housework and projects in the garage were done for the day I went to my computer and spent hours working on genealogy and one or more of my writing tasks. Some time during the day I would take time to shower and dress and think about dinner--but my point is that it seemed I would blink my eyes and Phil would be walking in the door after work.

Living in an RV has changed nothing for me except I get to sleep as late as I want in the morning. My days are even fuller as I continue to work on my genealogy in addition to researching and writing the story of my mother’s life. Add to the mix some sightseeing, some visiting with family and friends, doing the laundry, some cooking (Phil and I share the task and we often go out to eat), writing my blog and maybe a movie once in awhile and I often feel like I am strapped on the luge, heading down the track at 100 mph! Not once has there been a moment when I did not have something to do and if there ever is, I can always READ … what a concept!

No comments:

Post a Comment