Saturday, December 26, 2009

2010 - HAPPY NEW YEAR - 2010

First, we want to say thank you for your notes in response to our e-mail holiday newsletter. We really enjoyed hearing from you. Also, to those who sent cards and newsletters they were a lot of fun and we do appreciate being in your thoughts during the holiday season.

We had a quiet Christmas. We cooked a turkey breast in the crock-pot and prepared the usual side dishes in small amounts. It was delicious that day and even though we reduced the amounts we cooked—just as good the next day. I love having leftovers! I baked a pumpkin pie with Splenda and we had a sugar-free traditional dessert that was delicious.

I am a lover of words and here is a list of them I thought you might enjoy titled, “No wonder English is so hard to learn.”

· We polish the Polish furniture.
· He could lead if he would get the lead out.
· A farm can produce produce.
· The dump was so full it had to refuse refuse.
· The soldier decided to desert in the desert.
· The present is a good time to present the present.
· At the Army base, a bass was painted on the head of a bass drum.
· The dove dove into the bushes.
· I did not object to the object.
· The insurance for the invalid was invalid.
· The bandage was wound around the wound.
· There was a row among the oarsmen about how to row.
· They were too close to the door to close it.
· The buck does funny things when the does are present.
· They sent a sewer down to stitch the tear in the sewer line.
· To help with planting, the farmer taught his sow to sow.
· The wind was too strong to wind the sail.
· After a number of Novocain injections, my jaw got number.
· I shed a tear when I saw the tear in my clothes.
· I had to subject the subject to a series of tests.
· How can I intimate this to my most intimate friend?
· I spent last evening evening out a pile of dirt.
And the best sentence ever in the English language: “Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo.”
Thanks for stopping by,
Until next time ...



5 comments:

  1. Hope you Christmas was wonderful Joy & Phil... I know your enjoying Florida and Celebration is a beautiful little city created near Disney… I love the homes there! Next year when we stay home for the winter we'll come meet you guys... Can't wait to hear about your new little scanner... Have a wonderful day and travel safe.

    Happy New Year
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy new year, guys! We enjoy the vagaries of our English language also, and your list was great. I'm afraid I'm kind of a stickler on proper usage, and I find myself correcting TV and magazine ads as well as TV news announcers as they misuse the language.
    Of course, sometimes I may accidentally slip, or just pop in a misuse on purpose.

    One of our favorites is the various ways to pronounce the letter combination "ough." We have come up with at least six or eight "correct" ways to pronounce "ough." How many can your readers find? Here's our list in the early morning: tough, though, through, cough, dough, bough. In the midafternoon I'll remember at least one more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Was so good to read your blog this morning. It sounds like a fun place to be for the holidays. We are at Nikki's and it is cold but no snow. Not even at home. Its sunny and bright so not so hard to have it cold. Hope your week is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  4. In the mean time I won't be mean - I mean it.
    You wanted me to turn right, right?

    I love those word games, and since English IS my second language I can relate to the title you gave very much.

    Nice to hear you had a great time in the holidays, and I am planning to read more of your blogs soon (I always start from the present backward)

    Wish you Happy New Year

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have an internet friend that lives in the Netherlands.. She has visited me twice. She's Daniels age but I just love her. One of her visits was to Daniel's wedding in fact. Anyway.. when she's here we love to go through these words in our language. She speaks 7 languages fluently and says ours is one of the hardest because of that.. I love listening to her though. She's now married and has 2 kids and I don't hear from her as often. When they were born she phonetically spelled out their names for me but I have no clue how to say them LOL. I don't even speak one language well, or good :)

    ReplyDelete