Sunday, June 13, 2010


You cannot imagine the whirlwind of activity that has been surrounding us this past week. All I can say is thank goodness I’m up to it … a year ago it would have been more than I could handle! This summer I am actually looking forward to each day with great enthusiasm and best if all, without anxiety. This is occurring partly because of my anti-anxiety medication for sure, but mostly because blood is flowing without restriction through my new arteries for the first time in a very long time. It wasn’t easy but Phil and Lester managed to squeeze out some personal time for a day of fishing and caught lots of fish, which of course, makes it a perfect day.

The appointment with my eye surgeon went well and I am scheduled to have the cataract removed from my left eye and my new lens implanted on 14 July. If all goes as planned, my right eye will be done about three weeks later. My cataracts have grown so large, the doctor told me I will be thrilled with the results and I can hardly wait!

Our next adventure may come as a surprise to many (it did to us) but last week, we found a small, older 2-bedroom, singlewide mobile home for sale in the 55+ mobile home park here in Shelton and we decided to try and buy it. We made a ridiculously low offer and the seller responded with a counter offer of an additional $500 and we had a deal. It needs much TLC including paint, appliances, cupboards and a bathroom renovation but overall it is in fairly good shape for its age. We may discover we are wrong but Phil and I believe we are up for the challenge. When the work is finished, and we are able to move in, we should have a comfortable and cozy home base when we come back to WA in the summer time. I’ll keep you all updated as we get to work, mark off the “to do” list and the projects get done.

We watched with pride on Friday night as our grandson, Jeremy graduated from high school with his class of 2010 in the Tacoma Dome. We took the family out to dinner at the Olive Garden afterward and had a great meal and great service. Jeremy’s 5-year-old little sister, our precocious granddaughter, Brooke captured the heart of our server who then catered to her every whim. We didn’t get back to Penny the Pace until after midnight happy but exhausted since staying up that late is a rarity in our lives lately.

Sister, Robin and her husband Walt arrived from California last Thursday night. They drove up and her daughter, Julie and SIL, Doug flew up. They have come for Robin’s granddaughter, Sophia Rose’s band concert (Sophie plays the trumpet) and ballet recital, which is today. Even though we spent two weeks with them last month it was wonderful to visit with them and have dinner together on Saturday afternoon. After eating, we went to Arne and Beth’s home (Sophie’s parents) to visit with the family for an hour or so before heading home to settle in for the night.

We have more doctor appointments coming up in the next week or so and hope the results continue to be positive. Thank you all for stopping by!

Until next time …


  1. I think you and Phil have made a wonderful decision and yes your up for it! It's really a cute little place and you will make it feel like home!

  2. Wow, what a fine week! And congratulations on your new home base. We hope you have as much success and happiness with it as we are having with our park trailer! What a wonderful bunch of family and friend time.

  3. Wow! Staying out to midnight! You must both be feeling pretty good!

    Love your new "home"! I think you've made a good decision. Maybe staying in a 55+ park in Florida for so long made you want to have some "roots". Love the shrubs too!