Sunday, January 13, 2008

9:11 am Sunday, January 13, 2007

What is that old saying … Some days are diamonds and some days are coal? We had a diamond day last week!

Many years ago, when I was a very young woman I married a man who had children from a previous marriage. The oldest was a nine year old daughter they had named Roxanna Marie. Roxy as she was called was beautiful and bubbly, a delightful child and I fell in love with her at first sight. Well, as things sometime happen, her father and I divorced and later when I was getting married again, she and her mother (we had become friends through the kids in addition to a similar divorce) were invited to the wedding. Now at almost 15, she gave me the greatest compliment I have ever gotten by coming up to me after the ceremony and tearfully asking me, “Will you still be my mother?”

Well, she has a loving, exceedingly satisfactory birth mother that has been in the picture since day one and so inevitably, over the past 41 years as our lives have followed different paths, our visits have been somewhat erratic. However, we have always stayed in touch to some degree (Christmas cards then e-mail, etc.). When I met Phil we discovered he had owned the restaurant and bar in the small town where she lived and they had known each other for some time. We were amazed at how small our world really was!

Guess what? It had gotten smaller yet! In answer to my Christmas greeting via e-mail this past December, Roxy sent me a response. In it, she brought me up to date and reported that just this last summer her husband had taken an early retirement; they had sold their home in Washington State and relocated to Yuma! Wow! What a wonderful surprise! They purchased a very charming home in the foothills and have settled in to Yuma like natives for year-round living and they love it. We now have even more family to visit while we spend some of our winter months in the sunshine.

Sister Dixie report: At the last check-in, she is reporting another milestone … she is sitting up in the wheelchair for several hours at a time now with less pain than before. Our sister, Robin from California has arrived in WA and will be monitoring the progress and keeping me informed until she goes back to CA the end of January. Robin also hopes to give Dixie’s daughter, Tammy a break in the ever present vigilance that is necessary for quality care in a nursing facility.

No comments:

Post a Comment