Tuesday, August 29, 2006

4:16 PM Tuesday August 29, 2006

Phil and I spent this past Saturday afternoon at my daughter Bobbie's house here in Shelton. We helped her family celebrate the 19th birthday of my wonderful granddaughter, Sara Jeanne. I remember the birth of this lovely young lady down in Canyonville Oregon like it was yesterday. I went down to take care of her older brother, my grandson Joe (he was seven) while Bobbie went into the hospital to have her baby by C-section. A few days after I arrived a huge forest fire broke out nearby and for most of the time I was there, we couldn't see across the street for the smoke. The whole town was on evacuation standby and since Sara's dad was working all day (and he had their car), it was mandatory that I stay so I could get Bobbie and the kids out of harm's way should we hear the order to leave. It was very scary for all the grown-ups but my grandson enjoyed the excitement at the little lake nearby watching the big helicopters loading their water buckets to dump on the forest. Within a week or so, they had the fire under control and I was able to go home. It was hard to leave that new little bundle of love I had been lucky enough to have lots of time to bond with. She is a very special girl and we are all very proud of her!

No comments:

Post a Comment