Monday, October 17, 2005

12:50 PM Monday October 17, 2005

One of my pet peeves relates to generalizations. As an advocate of all things being evaluated on individual merit, I make a serious effort NOT to express my opinion with sweeping statements that lump a group of like-items/places/people/things together. However, in spite of my firm resolve, I’ve found myself exclaiming to Phil, many times over how much I love every inch of this area of our country! Yes, I’m lumping New England into one big love-fest particularly along the Atlantic seacoast.

Every turn of a back road, each village, town, city, harbor and seaport as well as the cemeteries, churches and government buildings all have a story to tell relevant to America’s history. I am grateful and so very pleased to see the urban renewal and extraordinary restoration going on everywhere we travel. With some exceptions of course, one of the many observation we’ve made is the pride of ownership in most areas we’ve passed through. Modest as well as luxurious homes of all sizes are included in our judgment. It’s not just the fresh paint on the houses and outbuildings but the well-groomed lawns and simple but effective landscaping like stone fences. Also, surrounding fields including the ditches and parking strips that are mowed and free of garbage and trash. Huge tubs of brightly colored mums and glorious hanging baskets with cascading masses of petunias can be seen around every porch and doorway. To me, they say, “Welcome, we’re glad you’re here!” It’s all I can do to control the urge to stop and knock on doors and tell these homeowners how impressed I am with their obvious delight in home ownership. As a 12th generation American, I have truly found my roots in New England!

Here are some interesting incidentals:

When putting in new streets they use short sections of New England granite (rather than concrete) for curbs. Nice looking.

This is the first place we’ve seen school buses with black matte paint on the hoods to eliminate glare for the driver. Great idea that may be catching on in sunny areas around the country!

There are many more breakfast and lunch only restaurants (open as early as 5 AM and closing before 3 PM) than full service restaurants. We’ve learned to eat our dinners out very early.

If you need a job, come to New England. “Help Wanted” signs are everywhere … from the minimum wage fast food restaurants to the factories and major manufacturers.

No comments:

Post a Comment