Monday, August 01, 2005

10:05 AM CST Monday August 1, 2005

Hindsight:

About 30 years ago I started collecting Sterling Silver state charms from each state I had visited, lived in or just traveled through. They were inexpensive mementos and since I’m an incorrigible “collector” of things, and I figured (little did I know) most of my traveling days were behind me (my first husband and I did a sweeping tour of the USA back in 1956-1958), it seemed a fairly innocuous hobby. Then, about 25 years ago I was given the actual Sterling Silver bracelet to put them on as a gift. Over the years I have acquired new charms and put them in the box with the bracelet but never joined the two together. Before we started this adventure, I realized I only needed two charms … North Dakota and Kentucky to finish the set! So, with that in mind as we planned our route with our friends, I requested the itinerary somehow cross these two states to make my bracelet complete.

After the dismal weather, muggy heat and mosquitoes of Malta and Saco Montana, we headed east on highway 2 for North Dakota hoping for some relief. Once across the state line, our first stop in Williston wasn't much better so we were relieved to have the steady breezes that kept them at bay at our Dickinson North Dakota campground the morning after we arrived. However, the breeze soon turned to gusty winds, then mixed in some thunder and lightning, added hail and serious gusts and all of a sudden, Les and Don were scrambling to get Don’s awning rolled up as Phil pushed the “stow” button on the datastorm and wrestled our awning back into it’s stored position. Don’s awning received a three-foot tear along the coach side and our awning was ripped about 12 inches on one outside corner. We were both lucky. No structural damage and both awnings were temporarily repaired with the indispensable duct tape the next day when the wind died down. My feelings about being in North Dakota were seriously colored by the foul weather we experienced when we arrived. However, on Sunday, North Dakota apologized! It was July 3rd and we went to the “Pitchfork Fondue” dinner and after dinner attended the “Medora Musical” just outside this tiny little town (population about 90 in the winter). Medora is about 20 miles west of where we were camped. It was a beautiful day, fun (tourist type) little town with an exceptional dinner treat to boot!

Seating was at picnic tables. Nothing fancy for sure. Once everyone was through the gate/door to the eating area they started cooking. The rib eye steaks were skewered on the tines of an actual pitchfork and plunged into boiling vats of frying oil. Yes, deep-fried, ten at a time and there were several forks in each caldron and about five caldrons going at once. That particular night’s dinner crowd of around 250 people stood in line to pick up a steak and go through the four identical buffet lines for the rest of their meal. I was impressed that they fed all of us fairly quickly. Our silverware was plastic but the steaks were unbelievably tender so the utensils worked fine. All the food was tasty but the best part of the dinner was the view from the lofty promontory where the restaurant is located. A 180’ view of the North Dakota badlands as far as you can see and as the dinner hour progressed, the wind died down and the colors of the setting sun took our breath away. Believe this or not, Phil and I forgot our camera. However, Les and Gloria took many pictures, they just haven’t downloaded them into their photo review of our trip yet: http://lr.smugmug.com/ so watch for these pictures on their site. I bought a postcard of the restaurant on my way out, so here is my pictorial contribution.

To be continued …

1 comment:

  1. Not sure when you will get to Kentucky, but the Bourbon Festival is in Bardstown on September 14-18.


    Margie in TN

    ReplyDelete